27 October 2015

A weekend with Alvis

Kay Mooney writes...

I’d like to share with you a great weekend I spent on the first burst of warm spring weather - I was invited along on a “run” of the Alvis car club.  What great people they are, welcoming me into their group. Some had traveled a long way to join the run, one pair of Tasmanians. We had great fun over two days driving out in their beautiful cars around the lovely spring roads of Metung, Nowa Nowa, Lake Tyres, Lakes Entrance to Paynesville, and sampling the hospitality of East Gipsland.  I was the passenger in a 1926 Alvis---- sun on my face, wind in my hair (lots of wind), and the scents of spring as we drove the lovely backroads.  This is something you don’t get in modern motoring, we are insulated from the world we drive through. And sometimes that is a good thing.  The sense of speed was exhilarating at 40 ish mph ( what’s that in Kms?).  There was some dressing up, speeches, and fun and games at the dinner. On Sunday we visited a fabulous collection of motoring and military “stuff” in Paynesville, and  an excellent lunch at the Boathouse, concluded a great weekend.