20 March 2014

Ferry costs for motorcycles

This is a subject that may have been discussed many times around the island but as a fairly new part time resident I thought I should raise it anyway.
My wife and I have 2 cars and living in an area with no public transport this is almost essential. Both vehicles have windscreen stickers and can travel on the ferry for free.
I have an elderly motorcycle on club plates which would probably only go on the road 40 days a year. It is cheap to run but when I take it on the ferry I am hit for $10. Now my Land rover and caravan is free but in the same space on the ferry I could fit 8 motorcycles (2 abreast).
Would it be a good idea if owners of vehicles with club rego or motorcycles which are really fair weather only, could apply for an additional sticker or stickers? Let's face it, we can only drive one vehicle at a time onto the ferry so why be penalised for using one and not the other?
Neil Sandison.