13 July 2014

RINet: linking our community

From the webmaster...

One of the rewards of being web-connected is helping to bring different members of our community together. I recently received an email from a young woman who lives in rural Queensland. She was looking for a couple who live on the island and thought I might be able to pass on her details - she is arranging a surprise party for her parents. We knew who she was looking for and now she will have very unexpected guests to really make a hit for her special celebration.

A similar pleasure came when we received the following feedback on 8 July:

Name : Roelf Aukema
Comments : Hi fellow Gippsland Lakers,



I was forwarded the article by Andrew McGregor about his boating experiences in Holland by Brendon and Maria Sims. I am in Norway at the moment, but have just returned from Holland and as luck would have it, Sneek, the Town that Andrew and Terry were visiting.

I too am in the process of purchasing a dutch barge in Lauwersoog, in the north of Holland, and have read the article with interest. Maybe there will evolve a Raymond Island/ Paynesville expatriate club in Holland one day!

You may not be aware that I ran the Enterprise cruise boat and that I had the R.I. get-together one year onboard. With most of our friends on Raymond Island, we almost qualify as honorary inhabitants.

Please pass my email on to Andrew and Terry and if you want to put it to press, then it is Ok by me. All the best to everyone and you will see me in Paynesville some time after the 16th July.

Regards
Roelf and Juliette Aukema